XML

Michael Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Mon, 08 May 2000 11:50:29 +1000

David Doolin wrote:
> Yes!  emacs and xml are superb together!  Verbosity can be
> vanquished by using gpl data squishing (compression) such
> as gzip.  gzipped xml can be extremely competitive in
> file size.

There is also no reason why you can't use gzipped XML files as the
underlying data format.
The XML spec says that it is *preferable* to be human readable ASCII but
not *must* be.
Hence it makes sense to use human readable XML for Survey files and
maybe compressed
XML for things like the 3d format where you want faster loading and
smaller size.

At present my programs use human readable XML so I can see where I make
my
programming stufups :-)

Mike

Michael Lake
University of Technology, Sydney
Email: mailto:Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.