Survex 0.91 (fwd)

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Mon, 01 May 2000 04:08:32 +0100

>I'm having difficulty running Survex on my PC setup - specification below.
>Version 0.91 and the earlier version I have run OK from DOS but it will in
>no way run from Windows Explorer which is how I have been used to running
>it. My earlier PC - P2 - is still in service upstairs in my map room and
>everything runs OK from there. Look as if there is a conflict between Survex
>and my P3.

It's hard to tell without more detail on how you've set up Explorer, but my
best guess (inspired by Mike Lake) is that the problem is something like
this:

 You've set an association for running "cavern" when a .svx file is clicked
 on on each machine, but the new machine doesn't have the survex directory
 included on its PATH so doesn't find cavern.

 But you can run cavern from DOS because you are running it with the survex
 directory as the current directory and DOS checks the current directory for
 programs as well as looking at PATH.

To fix this, add the survex directory to your PATH, or specify full
pathnames in the associations.

If this isn't the problem, can you provide more detail on the associations
you've set up in Explorer?

Incidentally, I've been working on a little program to automatically set up
such associations for you.  Hopefully it will be in the next release.