svx2dxf and CAD fuer Hohlen

Mike McCombe Mike@vodafone.net
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:06:29 -0000

I had some e-mail correspondence with Thilo about this a few months back. My
SpeleoGen software seems to be along similar lines in that it reads Survex
".3d" and outputs as DXF. However, it seems "CAD fuer Hohlen" needs the DXF
structured differently. Thilo kindly sent me a spec for the DXF variant, in
german, which I couldn't understand and, as I was in the middle of moving
house, I lost the plot.

I now have two sets of code which must both be very close to doing what is
needed. One (SpeleoGen) is in C++ and the other, more recent, in Java. Both
of these read .3d and create output as DXF. If anyone would like the source
code and/or a copy of Tobi's DXF spec just drop me an e-mail. Much as I'd
like to do it myself, I've too many unfinished jobs already!!

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wookey" <wookey@aleph1.co.uk>
To: "Survex User Group" <survex@survex.com>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 1:18 PM
Subject: svx2dxf and CAD fuer Hohlen

I'm forwarding this to the list as I don't know anything about DXF
myself.

Thilo Mueller uses Survex and CAD fuer Hoehlen by Tobias Bossert, which
uses AUTOCAD for cave drawing. It seems that the current 3dtodxf
converter does not satisfy it's import function, which requires the data
in a specific manner. It would be nice to support this, so if any of you
who know about this stuff/would like to fiddle feel like a go, feel free.

I've taken the liberty of attaching the example file as it's only 12K -
hope that's OK.

Thilo or I can help with examples of the same dataset generating a dxf
using 3dtodxf, and Thilo can get further info out of Tobias if required
(Looking at the file I suspect it is?)

Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679