0.93 on Digital Unix and Linux

Michael Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 02:13:44 +1100

Olly Betts wrote:

> In message <38CFAF8C.42864D77@zoo.ox.ac.uk>, John Pybus writes:
> >Xcaverot isn't really under much active development at the moment.  I
> >got it working in 96, and added a few experimental bits shortly after,
> >but never got round to properly tidying it up.
>
> Ideally I'd like to phase out xcaverot in favour of aven.  But there
> are barriers to this - xcaverot just requires an ANSI C compiler and
> the most basic X libraries; aven requires a C++ compiler, GTK, GTK--,
> and some gnome libraries.

I find that xcaverot is usually fine for my needs when working with
others to find mistakes in our survey data. Its fast, basic and although
there are bugs it compiles and works. I have not yet got around to
compiling aven or chasm on my Alpha as I am in a:

 /--> gtk-devel-++-lib-dependency-upgrade-cycle --\
|                                                 |
 \------------------------------------------------/

;-)

It would be nice if xcaverot could remain - OK not developed further in
termsof functionality, but just tidied up so its basic functionality was
all there, no major bugs, and it could run then on any 486 PC with Linux
or low end laptops with Linux. The gnome libs take lots of space and
mem.

Mike

Michael Lake
University of Technology, Sydney
Email: mailto:Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.