Interactive extended elevations

Wookey wookey@aleph1.co.uk
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:00:49 +0100 (BST)

On Sun 18 Jun, Gavin Lowe wrote:

<mostly sensible things>

I have a few comments:

> My implementation used extra commands in the survex file; doing it
> graphically could certainly be advantageous.

As demonstrated by toporobot which has had this feature for at least 5
years. Graphically being able to flip sections is invaluable. Combining
this with the discussed info to say 'project this bit', 'break here'
etc would be pretty well ideal.

> > If a loop contains no breakable legs, then it will be broken at a
> > junction, which is unspecified.
>
> I think a warning should also be given in this case, so that the user knows
> (s)he should choose a more intelligent break point.  BTW, IMO it normally
> looks best if you don't break at a junction.

Agreed. It might be helpful to have the concept of both soft and hard
breaks. ie 'definately break it here', and 'here is a sensible place to
break if necessary'. This may be unecessary?

> > If a loop contains one *breakable* leg, then it is broken at that leg. If it
> > contains more than one, it will be broken at one of them (unspecified).
>
> In the latter case, I think a warning should be given again.

I don't. If there are several possible break spots in a passage and one
of them is used, why does that deserve a warning?

> You also want to be able to specify that certain legs should be omitted
> from the extended elevation, for clarity.

Agreed. Often legs (eg in chambers surveyed with radial legs) are totally
superflous/confusing on an extended elevation.

Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679