Chasm v0.5

Philip Underwood furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:35:27 +0000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Olly Betts wrote:
> In message <00121103354400.07393@steamer>, Philip Underwood writes:
> >Finally out!
> >Available as usual from the Chasm homepage...
> >http://members.nbci.com/bigahiryone/chasm
>
> In case the typo isn't obvious, that's:
>
> http://members.nbci.com/bighairyone/chasm/
>
> I was having a look at demtosvx - I think this would be useful to include
> in the main survex distribution, but is there a good reason to convert to
> .svx files rather than directly to .3d files?  Or perhaps .3dx files,
> though I can't see any of the extras being useful for a terrain grid...
Mmm yes. This is what you get for announcing writing emails at 04:00 am.

Reason why you can't write directly to .3d/.3dx files - As yet, chasm can't
read in more than one file, and I haven't written a utility to combine files
yet... If you creat a .svx file, it's quite easy to include into various
other datasets. I did in fact write a demto3dx converter, but I then thought
that it was fairly pointless, given that you could either see the terrain, or
the caves, but not both.

What would be possible is a program that adds a DEM to a pre-existing 3dx
file; that might help. Or let chasm read multiple files into an editor.

--
Phil Underwood <furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net>
Fighting disease, illness, and little flaky bits throughout the North West.