Direct X Caverot - test version available

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 15:07:56 +0000

In message <3533D28EB4C57A438BBA4EE3B101ACC0094DE5@Pegasus.synopsys.co.uk>, Pau
l Fretwell writes:
>Olly asked:
>>If the length isn't there, perhaps text isn't working, or is appearing in
>>the wrong place.  If you turn on labels (Ctrl-L) when the cave isn't
>>rotating, do they appear?
>
>Ctrl-L causes the cave to vanish from the screen, but the scale bar and
>compass controls remain. Pressing Ctrl-L a second time causes the cave to
>reappear.

Oops.  Ctrl-L turns the [L]ines off.  It's Ctrl-N for [N]ames.  But text is
being printed for the scale bar so there's no reason to think it'll be
missing elsewhere.

>I have also noticed that if you switch to another application and
>then back to dxcaverot then you are faced with an entirely blank screen
>until you do something to cause the display to redraw.

Ah, I'm not too suprised.  I think it's fixable - I'll see what I can do.

>I appear to have DLLs named msdx*.dll and an .inf file which implies I have
>Microsoft DirectDrawEx installed, which I assume is the only part of DirectX
>used by the program?

The DirectX code is all in the library I'm using, but I think it uses
directdraw and directinput.  I doubt direct3d is used.

>>If you run it from the command line, it should complain that it can't find
>>the messages file (and does for me under wine):
>>
>>Can't open message file 'en' using path 'C:\x\'
>>
>>If you create a file association, then you may not see this message - it
>>really ought to come up in a message box.
>
>Yes, it was when I ran it from the command line and saw this message that I
>realised why it was apparently doing nothing. You never see the command line
>output when you run it straight from the GUI.

Hmm, but if you run cavern through an association, don't you get the output
in a window?  Or do you need to turn on a checkbox somewhere so the output
window doesn't close when the application exits?