Project Spud

David Doolin doolin@cs.utk.edu
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:42:29 -0400

>   Whichever approach we take, we're unlikely to have GUI versions for
>   MS-DOS or RISC OS, but command line versions are still possible.

If the back end is suitably encapsulated, writing a windows gui in either
win32 or mfc is pretty trivial.  For a SDI type win32 app, a simple gui
is about a days work, drawing code a maybe a week or two, and the
interface code another week or two.  MFC would be even faster for someone
that was very good with it (I am not, yet).  By interface, I mean the
appropriate set of callbacks that allow gui independent control.
Plug-ins are like wise very easy on win32.  Other benefit:  drawing
code gets you metafiles automatically, for import into word etc.

My point is that MS makes it very easy to develop userland apps.
So a well-constructed back end should not be much trouble to take
into MS land, given a wee bit design up front.  Let me add I in
no way expect the authors of survex actually *write* a windows
gui, merely suggesting that the opportunity for someone else to
write be considered as a possibility.

ciao,
dave d