Survex 1.0 within sight

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:52:07 +0100

In message <DAEIJNNJMCPGKJMAJDMDCEADCAAA.pggwilto@talk21.com>, "Peter Wilton-Jo
nes" writes:
>Just been playing with windows 2000. Although I've not had much time to
>play, most survex programs seem to work. I have found however that CaveRot
>doesn't work, the screen goes black followed by flashing numerous colours at
>high speed and then black again, and repeats this...

If I remember correctly DOS boxes under Windows NT only emulate "real" VGA -
640x480, so you can't run caverot at better than that.  I understand Windows
2000 protects the hardware more than Windows 95/98 so it might be that it
behaves the same way as NT.

>Chasm seems to be OK
>except, I've found two 3dx's that don't open, one of them causes a system
>failure..

That's one for Phil...

>I don't know what to suggest but I'm happy to test any theories and programs
>that you may have to rectify it?!?

Try running caverot with "--mode-picker" on the command line and let me know
if any of the offered resolutions work.  Start with the lower ones as they
are most likely to work.

And if you do get a working resolution, could you check if the mouse works?
There are problems under NT...