Should I shut down this list?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Sep 28 00:09:45 BST 2023

It seems this list is no longer being actively used - the archives
show only one message in the last two years, but it's been in decline
for much longer:

* 2021 saw 2 threads (but one really belonged on the survex list)

* 2020 saw 5 threads (but two really belonged on the survex list)

* 2019 saw 4 threads (but one really belonged on the therion list)

* 2018 saw 1 message

* 2017 and 2016 saw no messages

So really very little use for a long time (and ~30% of the use it
sees would have been better sent to a more specific list instead).

There's a small but non-zero admin effort to keeping the list
running - messages from non-subscribers and subscription requests
are held for checking and I have to periodically look over them and
delete the vast majority as spam.  There seems to have been a
significant uptick in subscription requests in the last month most
of which look bogus, and this is making me wonder why I'm spending
time on this.

So is it really worth me keeping this list active?

I know Wookey has mentioned wanting to use it more and has tried
to encourage more people to subscribe, but that hasn't actually
translated into people actually using it so seems to have been
a failed idea.