Phone protection underground

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Aug 9 03:15:22 BST 2021

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 01:22:39PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> I'm considering attempting some topodroid+SAP5 surveying next week and
> have one of these new-fangled mobile phone things.
>
> What do people use for protection taking them underground and in-use
> for surveying?
>
> It seems like a generic flexible waterproof bag is best for housing
> the phone in use but then presumably you need a peli case or similar
> to carry it around in too (unless your caves are fairly benign)?

For transport we've used the style of clear plastic storage boxes with a
seal and clips on the lid with success.  They come in a variety of sizes
and are cheaper and lighter than a pelicase, though probably not up to
such hard knocks (but your phone/tablet and disto probably aren't
either!)

They should be waterproof (people use them to take soup to work, etc).