Fwd: Forest of Dean (FOD) Wet Sink (Slaughter Stream Cave) Project - Advice wanted please

MARK TRINGHAM mtringham at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 3 16:17:41 BST 2020

Dear All,
In 2018 I realised that some re-survey work was needed in Wet Sink
(Slaughter Stream Cave), hereafter termed 'SSC'  in support of of a
Gloucester Speleological Society water tracing study. Also I have
started a speleogenesis and geological study into this cave, which at
13km long and ~ 110m deep and largely formed in dolomite is a curious
and impressive beast! It's 3 times longer than the next longest FOD
Cave, Miss Graces Lane, and although entirely natural it contains
interesting iron and manganese (?) deposits, fossil layers and
archeological remains such as 'Norman' the dog skeleton. The cave has
even featured in an episode of 'Extreme Archeology'.

The cave was well surveyed mostly around 1991 to 1993 with a lot of hard
work put in by GSS and RFDCC, using best techniques available at that
time (Suunto compass/clino and tape) under the leadership of Paul
Taylor. This resulted in a comprehensive Compass software database and a
1995 2D plan view drawn in ink at 1:500 scale on transparent paper and
photo-reduced scale versions of same. A further ~1.9 km was later
discovered and surveyed during the period 1997 to 2000 in the 'Remelt
Plant' and 'Heat Exchanger' series and this was added to the Compass
database and shown as a line drawing on issued maps, but the passages
still not yet drawn up. A redrawing of the cave plan was also made by
Paul around 2017 in A3 pdf digital format as part of a FOD wide survey
dataset compilation including over 110km of caves, mines and tunnels and
lodged with the UK survey database. The survey drawings were all great
for finding the way around and relating passages to the numerous sinks
and other shorter caves in the same catchment area, such as Seymours
Swallet and Redhouse Lane Swallet. However elevation plots were not made
and not many passage cross-sections recorded. Also the inclination data
gave unrealistically deep values (>20m too deep) for the deepest point
in the cave relative to the Slaughter resurgence at the River Wye near
Symonds Yat. Also some sections of streamway did not have realistic
slopes resulting, in a few extreme cases even sloping partly the wrong
way.  The cave plan was drawn up by Paul using the Compass survey line
plots, coordinates and cave survey sketches. Around 60% of survey
stations had LR recordings, but only about 20% had UDs and therefore
elevation views and relationship between sinks, springs in the cave and
sumps and geological layers could not be precisely established.

Advice request: 1) Compass has an easy to use magnetic declination
database built in, where you feed in the date,  lat/long and elevation
and it gives you magnetic declination for anywhere in the world. I have
used this and incorporated the values into the data acquisition spanning
1991 to 2020. Does anyone know of an alternative source of historical
magnetic declination data for UK against which i can check this ? Its
especially important in SSC because many cumulative passage lengths
exceed 2km and any systematic error of say >0.3 degrees will move cave
points ~10m horizontally. Declination from true north was apparently
-5.4 deg in 1991 and is -0.74 today.
Advice request 2) Should I apply declination corrections to match True
North or to match NGR? End plan is to draw up new entire survey in
Therion. NGR Convergence is about -0.48 degrees from True North here.

The summary work flow so far has been:
a) Check/clean up Compass database using original survey notes and
drawings, adding in whatever LRUD data is available. Paul Taylor is
still involved with this project and has done a sterling job finding
original survey sketches, data and cave drawings after 27 years for me
to use and he has worked on several of the re-survey trips. Paul is
leading the present water tracing study too.
b) Untie all loop closures so that original and new data acquisition can
be compared like for like.
c) Compare new pocket topo data (~4km recorded so far)  along key routes
in the cave, in particular the streamways, to the old data and focus
further attention where its needed most. This has been achieved both by
adding pocket topo data into Compass for a while on home PC. But then
later getting all the Compass data successfully into pocket topo using
Footlegs converter. This means that in the cave I can now see old vs new
data in 'real time' in pocket topo and look out for particular survey
needs and see roughly what is coming next along the survey route. Also I
have been able to add any little bits which were missing before (this
has added cumulative ~300m to the surveyed cave length so far). The new
data recorded has elevation plots and plenty of passage x-sections to
help with speleogenesis and water tracing work. DistoX2 calibration has
been checked before starting work on every trip and recalibration needed
twice so far. The comparison in plan view so far between old and new
surveys is pretty good, albeit with some progressive offsets up to
around 20m in spatial position, but all passage segments match well,
showing no significant errors before, such as missed stations or
reversed azimuths. The one major loop in the cave down 'Coal Seam
Passage' that rejoins the streamway had a 1993 mistie ~ 12m
horizontally, again pretty good, but now achieved in pocket topo to <2m
horizontally and 0.2m vertically.
d) Side branches that 'stand-alone' and seem fine in the old data such
as Pirate Passage (1063m) and Echo Passage (770m) and which have fairly
complete LRUD data have been tied into the new pocket topo dataset and
will not require further attention until drawing up is done digitally in
Therion.

Biggest differences old/vs new datasets seen so far are where steep or
complex passages occur, such as the Entrance Series which has a double
spiral going down to -55m below entrance and then gradual depth 'drift'
going up or down streamways due to old inclinometry being slightly off,
but which over long distances does accumulate significantly.

Advice request 3): If we find original suunto clinometer used and see
any calibration error, is there any reason not to apply a correction
retrospectively to the old data? This would improve accuracy of the old
data retained in the new database and reduce the new acquisition
required. Has anyone had suunto clinometer issues before that they
overcame?

Foward plan on surveying is to complete whatever new acquisition is
needed in pocket topo, probably a further ~2.5 km. Then after all survey
data is cleaned up, start work in Therion and in the end produce and
publish a digital survey drawing fit for such a fine and interesting
cave. BTW I have almost zero previous knowledge of Therion at present.
This can then form a reliable 3D framework in which to fit the water
tracing and speleogenesis observations.

Some rock sampling (~50 samples) have already been collected and are
already at Univ Manchester geology department for future petrographic
analysis to quantify/understand dolomite vs limestone, but covid has
held this up for at least 1 year already.

There is probably a fascinating story to unravel on Iron and Manganese
mineralisation in SSC which we will only start to work on in the coming
months. BTW furthest parts of the cave take ~ 5 hours fairly strenuous
one way travel time to reach, so some underground bivi's will be used
and 10 to 15 hour trips can be split between 2 or 3 days.

Advice Request 4): Can anyone suggest improvement to the work flow in
progress or suggest other things we didn't think of? Is there anything
special about Therion I need to know at this stage that would affect
present work flow?

After ~11 survey trips so far I am finding it difficult to find enough
survey helpers from GSS/RFDCC on a regular basis to complete reaminder
of the acquisition within a reasonable time. Is anyone on this list keen
to help in say November/December 2020? All help will be properly
acknowledged and i want the end survey result to be issued under GSS
club name but  'open access' after completion.

Please see attached plan summary jpeg.
Regards,
Mark Tringham

Mark