Loosing survey data

Andrew Atkinson andrew at wotcc.org.uk
Thu May 17 17:31:36 BST 2012

Hello all

Since back in 1999 and Compass Points 25,  I have been aiming at finding
a simple way to stop lost survey data. Well at last technology has made
it possible and more importantly simple, while making the whole process
more robust. Using the versioning system SVN.

For those of you who do not know, in simple terms a copy of the data is
loaded onto the server, then all changes are recorded. Everyone who is
part of the project gets a copy, which lives on their computers. Every
time there is a change only the changes need to be loaded. Once set up,
all the end user has to do is either ask for an update or commit a
change. (usually by right clicking on the folder). Who can download or
upload can be controlled. This mean that as soon as you get some new
data, it gets distributed to everyone, which is a sort of backup. Also
as the server records the changes, any mistake can be rolled back.

An SVN server has been set up on the BCA server for use by BCA clubs. At
the moment is is still basic, but does the job. With basic understanding
of files someone can upload the initial data, and others in the project
need very little knowledge to use it afterwards. (Lots of the people
involve in the listed projects come into this category)

Openness is encouraged, however, permissions can be changes, and parts
or even all the data can be only made available to members of the group etc.

Thanks to all those who helped to make this possible, especial Dave
Cooke, who did the set up of the svn server.

Please look at

http://cave-registry.org.uk/

Lets hope we never have to survey a cave again, because we have lost the
data.

thanks

Andrew