[Fwd: zero datum for measuring cave depth]

stuart mishkazz at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 18 14:07:42 GMT 2010

curious...
a National Datum is zero at Sea level all the mountain heights are
calculated from this....
Your cave datum is also zero to workout the vertical range in a cave,
however if the NHD is not linked to your survey datum then all caves
surveyed may end in confusion with no piont of reference....
Meaning if you have 3 entrances to a cave (openly linked) regardless of
which entrance the survey datum is in or if all 3, the vertical range has be
the same...
So Ent 1 (top of hill) 200m NHD / cave datum.... vertical range -120m
Ent 3 (efflux) 80m NHD / cave datum.... vertical range +120m
Ent 2 (hill side) 100m NHD cave datum.... vertical range +100m / -20m

 If the caves were not linked, there for plausible that each cave could have
a higher or lower vertical range, without the NHD you would have no way of
linking the surveys other than a surface survey of all Cave Datum's (Ent 1
to Ent 2 -100m) and if in time the caves were linked, then each survey most
likely will contradict each other if you cant align your Datum's.... while
each cave VR may differ the "system" VR still has to equal 120m in the above
case....

For us we borrow a $50,000 linked DGPS.s One is set up on a trig point on a
nearby hill, the other, all caves are given a NHD / GDA point at the
entrance to the cm, this links all surveys...all cave survey Datum's are
normally in caves, mostly below the water lines.... all cave datum's are
first linked to the surface datum.... In some cases the paddocks are pined
with survey marks in the same way.... pingers are used (magnetic field
beacons) underwater survey marks are transposed to the surface...A "thumper"
(a very big version of a pinger) works through rock for around 150m
vertical.... This impart takes up for slack with Tape & compass... As divers
not in your league... And for us water level is zero but not the Datum (just
a piont of reference) and common to have 2 datums...

I would admit getting your NHD on your datum is a bit of a trick....and most
wouldn't have this accuracy...
but the lack of it in any format, i can understand how old surveys, other
group surveys, incomplete survey, wouldn't line up, and confusion over
vertical ranges....

Cheers Stu