[Fwd: zero datum for measuring cave depth]

stuart mishkazz at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 17 22:51:03 GMT 2010

Hi
as you say what you can defend.....
I am into cave diving so the first Datum is based on Sea level (above &
below) (HD)
Altitude of any cave, dry entrance, needs its above "sea level" as it has
effects to decompression sickness...
the second datum is the  entrance... so a walk in cave the ceiling is "plus"
/ surface entrance vertical "minus"

For us water level is the second zero point, above plus or minus below,
however the third Datum is best around a set cave feature, around -5
metres....
changes in water level & atmospheric pressure will change the Datum depth on
a gauge.... So all survey data collected on the day is corrected for the
change...
(most water levels changes are seasonal, drought, and flood effected )....
Water level being zero is not consider to be a Datum... Most caves will have
a point worked out via the surface datum to above the water line as a second
Datum and measure the water level changes (generally speaking this fails
badly and is ineffective)

So really the standard datum for us is AHD (Australian Height Datum) & GDA94
(Geocentric Datum of Australia)...
provide all cave datums relate to this there is no issue....
Fair to assume provide all cave surveys relate to their National Datum there
should be no issue of ware it is...

Cheers Stu