[Therion] Disto-X Calibration Woes

Bruce Mutton bruce.mutton at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 4 10:37:55 BST 2009

BTW, the best way to callibrate DistoX is to find in a forest THREE
trees 2 m each from the other representing "half of cube".

A->B
B->A
B->C
C->B

C->base of B
C->2 m height  of B
B->base of C
B->2 m height  of C
B->base of A
B->2 m height  of A
A->base of B
A->2 m height  of B
up to your upset hand
down to your feet

Martin
I assume B is the 'right angle' corner of the triangle formed by the trees.
In this case, if I understand you correctly, you have described directions
that are much more biased to particular orientations than Beats instructions
(The diagonal plan and sloping directions are omitted).  The instructions do
say the particular orientation is not important, but given the troubles I am
having I would have thought a uniform three dimensional spread described by
cube faces and vertices would be less risky.

On the other I can see it is easy to implement in the field without any
special equipment provided one can brace the disto-X against the tree and
not bump it when the button is pressed.

I'll give it a go.

Bruce