Data sharing and visualisation

Peter MATTHEWS matthews at melbpc.org.au
Mon Feb 5 23:01:14 GMT 2007

Hi Andrew,

At 10:08 26-01-07 +0000, Andrew Brooks wrote (to cave-surveying at survex.com):

>Hello
>
>Some elementary questions from a new member!

[snip]

>2. Is there now a "standard" file format for cave survey data?  The
>latest buzzword these days is XML so I presume someone's come up
>with a schema. (Yes, I know the saying which begins "The nice things
>about standards is...")

A few people have used XML files for handling cave survey data, but
to the best of my knowledge, and as Wookey says, there is no standard
yet. The Informatics Commission of the International Union of
Speleology started a working group for cave data exchange via XML,
and this concentrated on cave survey data initially, as a pilot. But
after a lot of good discussion of a lot of issues by a lot of people,
it all got too hard and people lost interest, even for a simple
survey type pilot. Currently the WG is in hibernation until someone
wants to attend to some of the tasks which were identified. The WG's
web site is at: http://www.cavexml.uis-speleo.org. If anyone does
want to help with any of the tasks listed there :-), and/or resurrect
and lead the project :-)), please email me at matthews at melbpc.org.au !

If an XML-based standard does emerge, I guess RosettaStal could add
that to its repertoire of formats.

Even if the WG does not start up again on survey data, I plan to
re-orient it back towards 'ordinary' cave data, but unfortunately
domestic duties have delayed the start on this for the last couple of years.

Peter

Peter Matthews
Leader, UIS Cave Data Exchange Format Working Group