Open Geodata in Europe - Inspire directive

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Thu May 11 19:08:38 BST 2006

+++ Andy Waddington [06-05-11 09:57 +0100]:
> On Thursday 2006-05-11 00:49, Wookey wrote:
>
> Tidal predictions, for example, are regarded as a matter of public safety
> by many countries, and the savings to search and rescue organisations
> from making this info freely available exceed the losses of revenue from
> not selling the information as is done in the UK.

In fact the raw tide _is_ now available (although this is not widely known).
I found a message pointing this out whilst browsing the forum discussing
this issue linked from the OKF website. It's a few messages down this page:
http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/blog/index.php

And so is Hansard and BGS magnetic data. If we could just get them to do the
same with postcodes, road names, DEM data, and maybe some other raw GIS data
forms, things would be enormously improved. So far as most cavers are
concerned, even 100-yr old, out-of-copyright, landform data is just fine.

> > you need to sign the petition asking for this to happen, and ideally
> > contact your MEP about it.
>
> Hmm, 703 signatures as of mine being added. 700,000 might be enough to get
> some notice taken ...

As John Halleck pointed out - a letter along the same lines as your above
post is likely to be a lot more effective. Email it - now made very easy via
http://www.writetothem.com/