BCRA Grade 5

andrew m. boardman amb@apocalypse.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:02:07 -0500

>I think that Wookey is too accustomed to the BCRA Grading scheme.  Try
>telling someone who is not a British caver that a survey is Grade 5.

While I could arguably be called both British and a caver, the only
significant caving I've done has been in North America, and so far as I'm
aware, the survey gradings used here are the BCRA standard gradings,
although they're not referred to as such.  (Example: of the two maps I
have to hand, one is 30 years old and is marked "Grade 5 Survey - Brunton
& Tape", and the other is very recent and has detailed notes on which
bits are which, including grades 1, 2, 3, and 5.)  There's certainly no
other grading system in use that I've seen.  From what little I've seen
of the rest of the English-speaking caving world, it's the same.

cheers,
andrew