Backsights (and lava caves)

Bill Frantz frantz@pwpconsult.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:51:42 -0800

At 2:47 AM -0800 1/22/03, Sergey Sorokin wrote:
>Hello!
>
>John Halleck wrote:
>> > You must have at least three legs from each station to get all of them
>> > fixed. If you have a station with 2 legs than it can be located in two
>> > different places (unless it is directly on line between it neighbours),
>> > so you will need some extra data to fix it at the single location.
>>
>>   Three legs from each station is ambigious, there are two solutions,
>>   mirror imaged across the plane defined by the three reference points.
>
>Heh... I was thinking about 2d case... In 3d 3 legs is not enough for
>sure...

Note that if all the legs are in the same plane, you don't get something
that works for 3d, no matter how many legs you have.

Good Caving - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Sacred cows make the   | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | tastiest hamburgers.   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@pwpconsult.com |         - David Wagner | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA