Lava tubes and magnetic reversals

John Halleck John.Halleck@utah.edu
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:37:37 -0700 (MST)

For what it is worth...

At some time in the dim distant past a geology student
explained to me that the temperature at which lava "Sets"
magneticly is slightly above the point at which the lava
is still plastic.  So as it cools it takes a set, but
continues to deform.    (This was in responce to some
questions about magnetic anomolies in lava.)

Although the deformation of the magnetic field some have
observed as a general pattern around lava tubes (what one would
expect from a non-magnetic inclusion in a magnetic material) would
imply to me that some set must happen after it stops moving...

Ahh... speculation in the absence of data...