Backsights

Hazel Barton hazel@hazelsbugs.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:11:24 -0700

I agree with Pat, that it's important to write down uncorrected backsights
and then do the math in your head to esure on-site accuracy of the survey.

There is another trick I do when I'm sketching, I usually sit close to one
of the instrument readers while they're getting the shot. That way, they
don't have to yell the numbers out for the whole world to hear. As a result,
the person reading the reciprocal instrument is less likely to 'cheat' -
that is, remember what the fore-sight was, and try to get that number on the
backsight.

I've been horribly guilty of doing this myself, when we're in a rush, it's
pizza for dinner - and it's such a pain to try and get the reading to agree
within a degree. Of course, these are usually my projects, so I deny
everything!!

Hazel