BCRA Grade 5

Thrun Robert IHMD ThrunR@ih.navy.mil
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:07:43 -0500

I don't know why the definition was changed.  I was
not able to find any survey where the surveyors
tried to ascertain the accuracy of their measurements.
My talk in 2000 was the first and only effort to see if
surveys actually met the Grade 5 requirements.  My
conclusion was that there are no surveys that meet the
requirements.  Surveyors simply called a Compass, Tape,
and Climometer survey (a clearer term that I prefer) a
Grade 5 survey.  The revision brings the BCRA Grading
System in line with actual practice and changes the
System from a failed attempt to quantify the accuracy
to jargon for the sake of jargon.

   Bob Thrun