geo-tags

Michael Lake mikel@speleonics.com.au
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:25:37 +1100

Andy Waddington on Cave Surveying wrote:
> All you enlightened people out there who are publishing detailed exploration
> and survey info on the web (and any dinosaurs out there who might be
> interested in adding value to their secret IP-restrictive stuff, too) - anyone
> flagging their pages with these geo-tags which are about to make it to an
> RFC in the next couple of months ? See Kaegi Daviel's internet draft at
> http://geotags.com/geo/draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-06.html
>
> It looks quite a useful system, particularly as cave descriptions meet its
> criteria of "resources described by HTML documents on the World Wide
> Web associated with a particular place on the earth's surface". There is
> a useful bibliography and all the references seem to be online, except,
> inevitably for ISO 3166-2:1988 which they clearly don't want adopted,
> as they won't publish on the net. <opinion withheld>

For those that dont know what this is and like me find the geotags.com
site doesnt have that URL here is some more info. I have taken this
verbatim from
     * To: IETF-Announce: ;
     * Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-06.txt
     * From: Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
     * Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:26:09 -0400
     * Sender: owner-ietf-announce@ietf.org

----------- begin quote --------------------
directories.

	Title		: Geographic registration of HTML documents
	Author(s)	: A. Daviel, F. Kaegi
	Filename	: draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-06.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2003-7-24

This memo describes a method of registering HTML documents with a
specific geographic location through means of embedded META tags. The
content of the META tags gives the geographic position of the
resource described by the HTML document in terms of Longitude,
Latitude and optionally Elevation in a simple, machine-readable
manner. This information may be used for automated resource discovery
by means of an HTML indexing agent or search engine.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-06.txt

etc.. bits omitted

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Ummmm ... I think it will be interesting reading. Thanks Andy for the
link to this group.

Mike

--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.