Dates

Ralph Hartley hartley@aic.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:20:40 -0500

Olly Betts wrote:
> I'm in the process of adding date storage to Survex, and I'm wondering
> how other cave surveying software typically represent dates?

Regardless of what other cave surveying software uses, there is a *very*
well thought out international standard for date and time.

It is known as ISO 8601, and I *stongly* suggest that you use it.

Its simplest form is YYYY-MM-DD, which can't be easily confused with any
other system (e.g. some places use DD/MM/YY but America uses MM/DD/YY).

It also has provisions for things like ranges of dates.

Ralph Hartley