3D point cloud data (fwd)

Lev Bishop lev.bishop@yale.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:54:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Wookey wrote:

> Obviously displaying the point cloud is trivial, but the skinning part is
> rather harder. Does anyone know of any existing, available solutions? Or
> have any suggestions as to how it might be done?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y53C26944

One of the modules for PTC's pro/engineer can do this in a MCAD context.
I've not used it myself so I don't know how appropriate it is for this
use, but I believe the idea is that it has a good shot at doing things
automatically but still gives you plenty of opportunity to fix its
mistakes by hand. But purchasing pro/e is not cheap - maybe you can find a
university engineering dept that has copies you can use. I think the
reverse engineering module is not included in the student distribution of
pro/e, though.

Lev