Admin notice - important

David Gibson david@caves.org.uk
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:21:39 +0000

This notice is mainly aimed at the Cave-Surveying list, but Im also
sending it to Survex.

As you probably know, the mail server for these lists operates semi-
automatically. For example, if it receives excessive bounces from your
address it will disable your subscription without my intervention
(although it does tell me what it has done).  The server also does its
best to reject "spam", which it helpfully(?) sends to me to deal with
(e.g. it could be a legitimate posting from a non-member address).

The amount of spam, of postings from non-member addresses, and of
bounces due to full or disused mailboxes has reached a very high level
on the Cave Surveying list (Survex is still thankfully quiet) and I am
going to have to implement a stricter policy from now on.

i) if you post from a non-member address I will REJECT your mail. (It
   saves me trawling through the mounds of spam to find a message that
   is genuine.  If, for technical reasons, you *have* to post from a
   non-member address (e.g. because you cannot edit your headers) then
   you will have to re-subscribe from that address.

ii) if your machine bounces more than a couple of messages I will
   DISABLE your subscription.  Most bounces are caused by people
   changing their email address and not bothering to unsubscribe. If,
   however, the Internet suffers a glitch and decides, upon the moment,
   that it cannot deliver mail to you, then you might find you have been
   unsubscribed.  If you think you have suffered this fate, please do
   NOT post a test message - visit the web site and check your
   subscription details.

iii) If you have forgotten your password, I think there's a button to
   click on the web page to get it sent to you.  I have arranged for the
   server to send you monthly notification of your password from now on.
   (This also serves as a check that the mailing list is up to date).

Im sorry about this, but the admin of these groups is taking more time
than I am prepared to commit at the moment.
--
David Gibson