Mapping software 2

Jos Burgers vlas20@wanadoo.nl
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:38:59 +0200

To: cave-surveying@survex.com
From: J Wood <John@peakdesign.co.uk>
Subject: Mapping software

Do any of you have any recommendations for mapping software? What I would
like to be able to do is display vector information from a survey, and
overlay it onto scanned maps and sketches such as old OS maps, old mine
plans etc. So something that is reasonably competent at scaling, rotating
etc bitmap images, and combining that with a vector display in 3d.

Thanks
John Wood

John,

I think for the combination of vector and scanned maps (and also in 3D) you need
professional software. For drawing I have good experience with Misrostation of
Bentley. With this program you can combine Vector (dgn) with most scanned
formats as jpg bmp tiff etc. It's powerfull on the field of scalling, rotating
and easy to use when you mastered the functions. It also import/export other
formats as dwg and dxf. It has a function of making a good "screenprint" in
scanned formats. (I guess that the same functiona are present in AutoCad).

For realy good combination of vector and scans there are GIS-programs. Also
almost not availabale as free/share-ware. One of those is Arcview from wich I've
seen pretty amasing stuff, but never used it myself.

I don't think it's of any help because it's very expensive software but never
the less an answere to your question ;-)

Jos