XML vs. SQL

Roger Schuster roger@r-schuster.de
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:06:56 +0100

Olly Betts schrieb am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2001 15:41:

Hello Olly,

> OTOH, the reasons you list make SQL a good choice for representing
> data inside a survey program.  It's actually one of the options we're
> considering for project spud (aka survex version 2).

Yes, that's exactly what I'm said: XML maybe good for exchanging the
data between proprietary software platforms but for the everyday work a
data base accessible through SQL is faster and more flexible to use.

BTW: For long-term conservation of data there is only one reasonable
"storage medium": Printed on good, acid free paper!

Roger