CDFT: survey/xml task list

Richard Knapp gyp_caver@yahoo.com
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 05:41:30 -0500 (EST)

(My first time on this so please be forgiving...)

>* decide on using a DTD, schema, or both.

If I have a vote, I would opt for Schema. They are valid XML documents, unlike DTDs. They also
seem to provide more flexibility -- maybe it is just ease -- in defining the document structure.

> * decide on the basic methodology for data transfer and archiving, e.g. XML.

Does archiving include the use of the file in place of a raw data file (ie. Survex .svx or COMPASS
.DAT file)?

Since not everything will be covered, should means of using XPointers and XLinks be covered
as well?

>Two known websites which show existing work which has been done are:
>
>Mike Lake:
>http://www.speleonics.com.au/cavescript/
>
>Devin Kouts:
>www.psc-cavers.org/xml