New subscriber

Wookey wookey@aleph1.co.uk
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:32:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri 24 Nov, Paul Fretwell wrote:
>  If I was to try and get some club survey instruments then what would
> people recommend?

Silva are a great deal cheaper than Suunto for essentially the same thing
(half price) if you are buying the standard alu-bodied sighting devices. A
number of people have liked the (even cheaper) Type80 devices, although they
don't do a clino in this design yet and they are bigger (but thus float).

> What are the main pitfalls waiting to trip up an inexperienced
> surveyor?

ah well, that's a big subject I don't have time to address right now. The
CUCC 'Janet and john surveying guide' in our handbook for people new to our
expeditions is a good idiot's guide. at:
http://www.chaos.org.uk/cucc/expo/handbook/survey/index.htm
and particularly the hints and tips at:
http://www.chaos.org.uk/cucc/expo/handbook/survey/hints.htm

Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679