GPS Selective availability turned off

Bill Frantz frantz@netcom.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 08:35:47 -0700

At 7:42 AM -0700 5/2/00, Wookey wrote:
>This would have provided better GPS services for cavers anywhere in
>europe (so long as they could get access to the net), however this change
>may have made the idea largely redundant as non-SA GPS is probably good
>enough for most cave-location purposes. I'm waiting to find out what the
>expected differential numbers are under the non-SA regime, especailly
>under long-baseline condiditions. Anyone here know?

http://www.igeb.gov/ has a display of the error circle with both SA on and
SA off as determined when they turned it off to help search for a downed
airplane.  I don't think it is measuring differential error, just straight
GPS.  The bottom line is within 9 meters.  (Two frequency receiver)

Bill Frantz       | Microsoft Outlook, the     | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | hacker's path to your      | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | hard disk.                 | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA