main pitfalls (was re: New subscriber)

Danilo Allegrini speleos@osite.com.br
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:23:24 -0200

> >>   Decade inversion reading instruments, and other artifacts
> >>   of not enough practice.
> >>
> >>   The fine art of picking a survey point you can find so that
> >>   starting out where you left off is possible.
> >>
> >Finding someone that is willing to do the survay with you to the
standards
> >that are needed
> >

> * Forgetting to sketch cross-sections & long-profiles (and other detail).
> * Reading wrong side (percent grade) of a SUUNTO clinometer
> * Not taking a spare pencil
> * Thinking you can remember details and sketch them after leaving the
cave.
> * Hanging compass, clino, pencil torch, etc from separate lanyards around
your neck where they will weave an intricate macrame and eventually strangle
you!!!

Add
"taking too long to make the final drawing from your sketch and realize you
are not exactly sure about the details and notes you made"
"forgetting your survey tape and realize when you reach the survey site"
"not enough care with the instruments - mud or condensation in the sight
window"
"unwilling teammates - 'what? no way I will survey inside a hole *that
small*' - leading to interrogation marks in the final map"
"cold, numb fingers, instruments, BCRA5 and goddamn loops"

Danilo Allegrini
Sao Paulo - Brasil