Survex 1.2.19 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jun 18 08:40:25 BST 2015

Survex 1.2.19 is now available:

http://survex.com/download.html

This release further improves the Mac OS X version. It also fixes a bug
with aven's export to GPX, KML and HPGL (introduced in 1.2.18), adds
support for exporting .pos from aven, and improves the footer on
printouts.

See the NEWS file entry below for a full list.

Here are SHA1 checksums should you want to verify the integrity of the
files:

5171e36c2260f611535dacec3e24bfa0048977e8  survex-1.2.19.tar.gz
cb1e0e338f61a201ebeeb651d51885c838b0e0e2  survex-macosx-1.2.19.dmg
a94eb53259e4a1aefce301bd3e36bf82693cb6de  survex-win32-1.2.19.exe

There are also detached GPG signatures in the download directory:
http://survex.com/software/1.2.19/

There are "release notes" on the wiki, which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:

http://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.2.19

Please report any issues you find which are not covered in the release
notes to the bug tracker (http://trac.survex.com/).

Changes in 1.2.19 (2015-06-18):

* aven:

  + Fix exporting to GPX, KML and HPGL, which all failed to write the header to
    the exported file in 1.2.18.

  + Add exporting to Survex .pos format.

  + If the measuring line isn't currently active, pressing "Escape" will now
    exit full screen mode.

  + (Mac OS X version): Change the shortcut for full screen mode to be the
    standard Ctrl+Command+F (rather than Shift+Command+F which we have been
    using since 1.2.7).

  + (Mac OS X version): When we centre the view on the station this can
    generate a mouse move event, so clear the variable which says we are
    dragging before we process a left click on a station.  This avoids random
    rotations of the survey when clicking on a station, reported in #47 by Hugh
    St. Lawrence.

  + (Mac OS X version): Force use of a non-native toolbar to stop the toolbar
    icons from being rescaled and looking fuzzy.

  + (Mac OS X version): Remove code added in 1.2.18 which tries to set stop the
    toolbar icons from being rescaled, but which requires an unreleased version
    of wxWidgets, had a typo in, and doesn't actually seem to work anyway.

  + (Mac OS X version): Drop out of full screen mode if the mouse is mode to
    the top of the screen, since we can't seem to display the menu bar in this
    case like we do on other platforms.

  + (Mac OS X version): Enable aven's movie export feature.

  + (Mac OS X version): Enable wxDisplay when building wxWidgets to better
    support multi-monitor setups.

  + (Mac OS X version): Silence warning visible when aven is run from a
    terminal about a missing CFBundleTypeRole.

  + When reading terrain data from a .zip file, report an error if the .zip
    file is bad, or if it doesn't contain any terrain data we recognise.

  + Tweak error message in terrain reading code to distinguish two failure
    cases.

  + Add viewing angles and scale to footer, and shorten some of the other items
    to make room for this extra information.  (Fixes ticket #52, reported by
    Erin Lynch)

  + If the footer is wider than the printout width, scale down the font used
    so that it exactly fits; if the footer is narrower, than space out the
    items in in so it uses the full width.

  + If the saved size for aven's window exceeds the current display size
    (mostly likely because we're now plugged into a smaller monitor), then
    reduce the size of the window to fit the display.  If the saved size is <
    (480x320), increase it to at least that, as aven isn't usable in a smaller
    window.

  + Remove crude bodge which tries to pick a nicer initial window size when
    using wxWidgets without wxDisplay on a multi-monitor setup - aven now opens
    with the same size window it had when it was closed, so the initial size is
    only relevant on the first ever run.

* Assorted translation updates.  Notably Indonesian is at 100% again.

* Stop trying to catch and report signals.  The only real reason to do it is so
  we can say "Bug in program detected! Please report this to the authors"
  before we exit, but when the program crashes that's pretty obvious.  In aven
  we try to pop up a message box for this message, which may fail due to
  whatever caused the signal, while with the command line tools there's no
  great benefit over just letting the shell report the signal.

* Use pkg-config to probe for libav and proj, which sorts out the correct flags
  for building on OS X against a static install of libav.