Survex 1.2.13 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu May 15 06:07:57 BST 2014

Survex 1.2.13 is now available:

http://survex.com/download.html

This release fixes a few bugs in cavern and aven, and adds some debug
features that should help us improve support for touchscreens.

Here are SHA1 checksums should you want to verify the integrity of the
files:

464e5f44938013f0118454e2c4b91d636c8fb804  survex-1.2.13.tar.gz
1f4a19fb61a7ae93669a5ecf721addfe34a1ab10  survex-win32-1.2.13.exe

There are also detached GPG signatures in the download directory:
http://survex.com/software/1.2.13/

There's no pre-built version for Mac OS X at the moment, but you should
be able to build a disk image from source using the "buildmacosx.sh"
script in the source tree - see the comments at the start of that script
for details.  Thanks to David A. Riggs, this script now uses wxWidgets
3.0.0, and should work on OS X 10.9.  I'm unable to test this myself,
so I'm reliant on people to report any issues they find with this.

If someone with a Mac is interested in providing builds for others, let
me know.

There are "release notes" on the wiki, which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:

http://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.2.13

Please report any issues you find which are not covered in the release
notes to the bug tracker (http://trac.survex.com/).

Changes in 1.2.13 (2014-05-15):

* aven: Fix --print option to wait for printing to happen before exiting
  (previously it would exit right after opening the print dialog, so you
  couldn't actually print anything out using it).

* aven: Increase the threshold for how close the pointer needs to be to a
  station from 5 pixels to 7 to try to help touchscreen users.  Reported by
  Hugh St Lawrence.

* aven: Add "fat finger" mode, toggled by pressing F2, to allow investigating
  if increasing the minimum pointer to station threshold helps Hugh's problems
  with using aven on a touch screen device.

* aven: The measuring line was unable to see stations which had just been
  revealed by toggling surface or underground legs on - this is now fixed.

* aven: Add "hit test grid debug" mode, which shows the hit test grid and how
  many entries are in each box (toggled by F3).

* aven: Pressing F4 now allows the user to toggle wxWidgets assertion messages
  off and back on.

* aven: Create the empty hit-test grid data structure lazily, to reduce start
  up time a little.

* cavern: Improve messages which talk about "tags" and/or "prefixes" in *begin
  and *end commands to instead talk about "survey names".

* cavern: For ages cavern has warned if you reentered a survey, but this
  warning was suppressed if it occurred at the same line of the same file as
  the survey was first entered, but this can only happen if you include the
  same survey file more than once, which isn't a sensible thing to do for a
  file with actual survey data in (you might reasonably do it to set up survey
  grade details or something like that).  The warning is now given in this
  situation too.

* cavern: After 5 warnings about reentering a survey we give up warning about
  it, but we used to keep reporting where the survey was originally entered -
  this secondary diagnostic message is now silenced when the main message is.

* (Microsoft Windows version): Compile C code with optimisation on.

* Add the start of a Russian translation, with messages take from therion.

* Minor translation updates to French.

* Fix compiler warning from GCC.

* Testsuite improvements:

  + Test that "..." anon station works.

  + cavern.tst: Check number of errors returned by all testcases which should
    fail and give an error count.

  + cavern.tst: Fix to actually fully test everything when builddir != srcdir.