OS X Compilation (again!)

David A. Riggs david.a.riggs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 21:03:53 GMT 2014

I'm attempting to build Survex 1.2.10 on Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks)
using the `buildmacosx.sh` script. I allowed the script to download
its own tarball of wxWidgets (though I had to switch it to use HTTP
rather than FTP for the download). I do not have Apple's full XCode
suite installed, but I do have the XCode command line tools installed.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with C development on this platform, or
with wx at all, so I'm not very skilled at debugging compilation
failures. Here's where the build dies:

In file included from ../src/common/dynlib.cpp:48:
In file included from ../include/wx/mac/private.h:4:
../include/wx/mac/carbon/private.h:1459:9: error: unknown type name
'Cursor'; did you mean 'NSCursor'?
typedef Cursor ClassicCursor;
        ^~~~~~
        NSCursor
../include/wx/defs.h:2506:28: note: 'NSCursor' declared here
DECLARE_WXCOCOA_OBJC_CLASS(NSCursor);
                           ^
../include/wx/defs.h:2484:16: note: expanded from macro
'DECLARE_WXCOCOA_OBJC_CLASS'
typedef struct klass *WX_##klass
               ^
1 error generated.
make: *** [baselib_dynlib.o] Error 1

I would love to get compilation working, preferably with wx 2.9 or
3.0, so that Mac users could have an easy homebrew `brew install
survex` option. (Homebrew is a source-based package manager for OS X,
and makes it very easy for a Linux expat to feel at home on a Mac.)

Any suggestions on the compilation failure? Has anyone successfully
compiled a recent Survex on OS X Mavericks? Is it perhaps a
Carbon/Cocoa issue? Build log attached.

- DR

--
David A. Riggs <david.a.riggs at gmail.com>