Fw: survex questions

Footleg drfootleg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 13:58:28 BST 2012

Data from each different date needs to go into a separate begin/end
block. Then inside each block you need to specify the declination
adjustment for the date in question, to convert from whatever North
reference the raw data uses to the north reference you want to use for
the final survey. So if the data is magnetic North on a particular
date then you can set a declination adjustment for that date to adjust
to OS Grid North (assuming this is the grid you are using for your
final survey). The ancient cartesian data is already aligned to true
North, so you just need to set the adjustment to convert it to OS Grid
North from True North.

The question then is whether having data in cartesian format rather
than length,bearing,inclination format will be adjusted by survex when
you apply a declination adjustment to it? After all the data contains
no bearings to apply the adjustment to. If Survex just rotates the
data block by the adjustment factor regardless of the format the data
was entered in then you will be fine. If it does not then you might
need to convert the cartesian data measured off the old printed survey
into length,bearing,inclination format. I have a spreadsheet which can
do that.

Footleg