UTM/UPS fixed points in survex

Erin M. Lynch elynch@cds.caltech.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:13:48 -0800 (PST)

Guys,
  I've been pondering how to deal with grid/true north convergence and
large systems that span two UTM/UPS grids.  I know that for the moment
survex doesn't deal with grids, but I think it'd be good if *fix were
fettled to accommodate fields for Zone and Map Datum.  Or even better would
be to introduce a *gpsfix which for the moment would just act as *fix,
but in the future would deal with the convergence and multiple zones
problems.

I've come up with a quick and dirty solution for the time being. I've
swiped some code from various sites and cobbled together a javascript
which you can see at www.survex.com/~erin/mag/conv.html
The useful bit is the part that calculates a distance and bearing relative
to true north for UTM/UPS coordinates in the WGS84 map datum.  I'm
using this to create fictitious surface survey legs between my gps points,
and it seems to work well.

In the Houping data set www.survex.com/~hmg/survex/houping/nov02002/ I've
fixed the entrance to ErWang Dong (surface.1) and displayed 3 different
candidates for the entrance of SanWang Dong:

sanwang-gps : the GPS point entered as a *fix, ignoring the difference
  between grid north and true north
sanwang-convgps : the GPS point with it's location entered as a leg from
  surface.1 based on the javascript output
sanwang.main.1 : the GPS point as measured by surface survey.

Over a 700m surface survey, the difference between sanwang-gps and
sanwang.main.1 is 26m, which is pretty appalling, but it's only 7m between
sanwang-convgps and sanwang.main.1

In the long run, it'd be dead handy if survex incorporated the maths so
that users can just enter the coordinates they get out of their GPS.  But
it's worth having a think about whether it would be better to
change the coordinate system of the fixed points to an arbitrary local
grid where north is True North, or to leave the fixed points in the
UTM/UPS grid and rotate/stretch the cave survey so it is in UTM/UPS
coordinates (which would be useful for map overlays and surface
prospecting).

Cheers,
Erin