0.93 on Digital Unix and Linux

Mark Shinwell mrs30@cam.ac.uk
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:35:15 +0000

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 02:13:44AM +1100, Michael Lake wrote:
> Olly Betts wrote:
> >
> > In message <38CFAF8C.42864D77@zoo.ox.ac.uk>, John Pybus writes:
> > >Xcaverot isn't really under much active development at the moment.  I
> > >got it working in 96, and added a few experimental bits shortly after,
> > >but never got round to properly tidying it up.
> >
> > Ideally I'd like to phase out xcaverot in favour of aven.  But there
> > are barriers to this - xcaverot just requires an ANSI C compiler and
> > the most basic X libraries; aven requires a C++ compiler, GTK, GTK--,
> > and some gnome libraries.
>
> I find that xcaverot is usually fine for my needs when working with
> others to find mistakes in our survey data. Its fast,

                                                  ^^^^
(ahem)  Yeah, right!

It is possible that I could do a plain Xlib version of Aven without any fancy
features; the core code would not be that difficult to port.  (And I bet it
would run even faster).

But unfortunately I have Finals in eleven weeks, so it'll have to wait until
after that, I suspect!

Mark

--
Mark Shinwell  -- President, Cambridge University Caving Club
Queens' College, Cambridge, UK