DEMs

Phil Underwood furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:15:41 +0000

I was asked by an american caver (Nick Yost: yostn@gte.net) if I thought
that his program would be a useful thing to have - it's essentially a
viewer for DEMs - digital elevation maps. These are digital representatio=
ns
of surface topography. He was considering whether to add support for surv=
ex
files, so one could see the cave in relation to the map. It's actually a
pretty competent viewer; homepage is at http://www.linuxstart.com/~g3DGMV=
/

This also got me thinking, so I've written a little utility that will
convert DEM files into an svx file (similar to the surface grids that cuc=
have used in austria). The program was written using some hacked code
from Nick's program. This is now available from my chasm site -
http://members.xoom.com/bighairyone/chasm under "Goodies" (at the bottom)=
=2E
Would this be worth adding to the survex distribution? the actual file
itself is very small.