0.93 on Digital Unix and Linux

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:38:51 +0000

>DU:
>  Don't have gtk-- and didn't try aven.
>  Compiled ok, but several messages about incompatible pointer types.

Assuming you're using a recent version of gcc (probably 2.95 or later)
this is a known issue.  It's to do with const-ness and pointers to
arrays.  I believe gcc is being too fussy (there seem to be similar
examples discussed on the gcc mailing list) but I've not found a clean
way to workaround the warning.  I may just end up disabling it.

>    xcaverot - All of the buttons and the two controls on the right are
>    empty (no text or symbols).  They appear to function properly.  Perhaps
>    they are displaying in black on black.

The buttons should have labels; the two boxes should have a compass
and clinometer.  I'm no Xlib expert, but if anyone can see what's
going wrong I'll happily correct it.

>    xcaverot core dumps with a
>    segv sometimes.  I haven't looked at the core file to see where yet.
>    A common problem is with the 64-bit longs on this platform.

Xcaverot has been checked on a alpha before, but it was some time ago
so perhaps recent changes aren't 64 bit safe.

>   Had to install gtk-- and gtk--devel.  aven still didn't compile and
>   it was too late for me to figure out why.  If I remember correctly,
>   it was complaining about missing header files.  Are there additional
>   packages required?

You need some gnome devel packages too.  Check Mark's aven page for
details (also linked to from "related packages" on www.survex.com):

http://mrs30.quns.cam.ac.uk/aven/

>I'll report my findings if I get a chance to look into these.

Thanks.