Fw: history of the use of ledge symbols in cave maps

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Fri Mar 18 10:47:19 GMT 2011

I just received this mail looking for historical info on ledge symbols.

I don't know most of the answers. The people I can think of that might
do in the UK have mostly recently died. Do we have any
survey-historians around who know something of this history?

Answers I do know below.

----- Forwarded message from Dwight Livingston <dwightliv at verizon.net> -----